What is DOMS?
Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) occurs 24-48 hours post-workout. It is usually caused by tiny tears in the muscle that are created by unaccustomed to or high-intensity exercise. DOMS can be uncomfortable and causes tightness in the body which can take days to heal.
How can I prevent DOMS?
Minimise your chances of experiencing DOMS with these suggestions:
- Drink plenty of water before and after your workout
- Warm-up and cool down every time you exercise
- Slowly increase your exercise time & intensity
- Get a sports massage post-workout
These suggestions give your body a better chance of preventing sports-related injuries from occurring. It’s tempting to rush straight into your workout but taking just 10 minutes to warm up will significantly reduce your chances of injury.
What massage is best for treating DOMS?
For a speedy recovery, the best treatment for DOMS is a sports massage. Our sports massage in Leeds & Wakefield is one of the most popular treatments amongst the physically active. Although a sports massage uses the same techniques as a deep tissue massage, sports massage differs as it is targeted at specific areas of pain and discomfort. Tackling any post-workout pains immediately will prevent them from getting worse and will speed up your recovery.
Benefits of sports massage
Sports massage has many great health benefits, and you don’t have to have a sporting injury to feel the benefits. However, its ability to aid the healing of tissue damage and ease muscle pain makes it perfect for the treatment of DOMS.
Other great sports massage benefits include:
- Increased mobility
- Improved circulation
- Stress relief
- Feel-good hormones
Sports massage is the best way to beat DOMS and enhance your sporting performance.
How to prepare for your sports massage?
To prepare for your sports massage we recommend that you:
- Stay hydrated and avoid eating more than a light snack as being too full may cause discomfort and cramps
- Many people choose to wear old loose-fitted clothing that they don’t mind accidentally getting essential oil on
- Your therapist will be assessing your posture, flexibility, and mobility. However, it’s important to go through a full consultation with your therapist and be honest with them about any discomfort, medication, or health conditions that you have.
- We recommend that you book your sports massage post-workout to reap the recovery benefits. You can also regularly schedule your appointments to enhance your sports performance.
Adequately preparing for your massage will allow you to reap the most health benefits and have the most comfortable massage experience possible.
If you feel as though sports massage would be beneficial to your sports recovery and performance, you can fill in a consultation form online today.